CONSULTANCY OPPORTUNITY FOR THE PROJECT TITLED “ACCOUNTABILITY FOR MASS STARVATION: UNSC 2417 IMPLEMENTATION MECHANISMS” (JUNIOR LEGAL CONSULTANT)
Title: Junior Legal Consultant
Duration: 12 months
Location: The Hague
Start date: TBC likely mid to early November (subject to project being awarded)
Project Implementer: Global Rights Compliance
Recruitment Open date: 21 September 2020
Recruitment Close date: 26 October 2020
Advanced degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in law is required. A first level university degree in combination with at least two additional years of qualifying experience in international/criminal law may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
The above-mentioned university degree must be in at least one of the following fields of expertise: Law with a specialization in international, criminal or humanitarian law or other related university studies.
- A minimum of 3 years of progressively responsible legal experience, at either the national or international level;
- Extensive knowledge and practical experience of international criminal law, humanitarian law and/or international human rights law (IHRL) (a strong preference for expertise in IHRL and IHL is highly desirable);
- Excellent and demonstrable legal drafting, research and reporting skills.
- Experience working within international tribunals and international legal accountability mechanism;
- Experience in or knowledge of the crime of starvation, right to food violations, humanitarian crisis violations and / or food insecurity;
- Proven experience in IHL and IHRL practice or academic work;
- Experience in drafting submissions, legal reports or published academic drafting;
- Experience in training, mentoring and capacity building;
- Experience working within, or engaging with, UN institutions;
- Experience in, or knowledge of the conflicts and situations in Yemen, South Sudan, Sudan, the DPRK, Venezuela or Syria;
- Project development, bid writing and experience pursuing funded opportunities;
- Published work in ICL, IHRL or IHL or in food insecurity;
- Organising events, convening high-level panels, webinars, workshops, events, and roundtables; and
- Knowledge or experience of humanitarian operations in conflict zones.
Knowledge of international legal procedures and instruments, and significant experience in the practical application of legal principles, concepts and policy to a range of legal work and issues is required. Strong analytical skills and ability to conduct legal research on a range of relatively complex and intricate issues. Ability to work with sensitive / confidential material.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having interactive communication, when appropriate;
- Tailors tone, style and format to match context;
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information appropriately;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal, written and presentational);
- Diplomacy and confidentiality is essential.
Experience with digital communications and promotion, social media platforms is an asset.
Planning and Organizing:
Ability to work effectively under pressure and to adhere to strict deadlines; strong organizational skills in carrying out duties and organizing legal files is required. Proven track record of pro-active, tenacious and pragmatic approach to providing solutions and course of action where common practices do not exist.
Fully proficient computer skills and the ability to use relevant software applications, in particular internet/intranet services, databases, etc.
Experience with mobile app and website development knowledge is an asset.
Excellent interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective and harmonious working relations with colleagues; ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment, and respect for diversity.
Language Skills: English essential. Arabic or Spanish would be desirable.
Recruitment process: Interested applicants are requested to submit their CV and cover letter (no longer than 1 page) to catrionamurdoch@